“The epitome of True Light Bearers – stand on one’s own, and be the light of the world”
To enable S1 students to understand the school better and nurture their sense of belonging to the school, True Light’s history, traditions and highlights are introduced in the curriculum. Taking our Chinese History Teacher Mr. Yan’s Book “From Crane Cave to Lion Mountain: Brief History of Kowloon True Light School” as the base, students are taught through multi-media materials and activity-based learning, such as ‘Letter to the Founder’, ‘Interviewing Alumni’, Q&A games, drama etc. In these ways, students can learn in an interesting way and strengthen the bonding among themselves as True Light Bearers.
As one of the partnership schools in HKU’s Network Program “Nurturing students’ positive attitude and values”, we implement mental health courses for students to raise their physical and mental health quality through a combination of cognitive-behavioural theory, socialization skills and positive psychology elements. This can also strengthen their resilience and problem-solving ability.
Through different real-life cases in society and campus, students are enabled to discuss and share personal experience so that they can develop holistically in knowledge, emotions, determination and skills. They are able to execute appropriate value judgement in terms of personal and interpersonal aspects, and apply life skills in real-life scenarios like time management, financial management, emotional management and communication skills.
Our school has always placed emphasis on students’ holistic development while building positive values and proactive attitude towards life. Taking “CAPE of FRUIT” and “The Creed of True Light Bearers” as the overall framework for the character-building course and Growth Handbook as the supplement, students can understand what it means by good moral character, then reflect on one’s life, improve and spread the right values eventually.
- Since 2016, our school has become one of the partnership schools with HKU in the theme of “Cultivating Students’ Positive Attitudes and Values”.
- In addition, we have participated in its extended program called“Promoting Wellness in School” in 2019. In S1, we have implemented an extensive program “Out of the Dark” and organize whole-school activities to enhance students’ confidence and positivity.
- The scheme will track students’ mental health until they graduate to ensure the quality of mental health can be sustained.
- In 2017 and 2018, our school has successfully applied for the Quality Education Fund to implement “Share Respect for Life, Walk Together in Adversity (Joyful @School Campaign)” in consecutive years, and collaborate with YMCA’s Social Work Department to add positive education elements in S1 and S2’s True Light Bearer’s Courses.
- In 2019, we also successfully applied for the Quality Education Fund, designing and implementing the whole-school Life Education Program to allow students to find their own strengths and appreciate their own life values.
- We successfully applied for the project ‘“Thanksgiving and Treasuring, Proactive and Optimistic: My Pledge” under the Quality Education Fund for strengthening True Light Bearer’s character education in 2020.