“See the world with bold innovations; Learn from trial to spark infinite creativity.”
Each of the school VA’s module studies works of various artists whose emotional journeys and personalities during the time of creation are analysed through their visual elements, artwork materials and skills. After studying these aspects, students create their own works through their own perspectives in different situations, visual elements, materials and skills, all of which are instrumental in their emotional expressions and personal characteristics. Topics include childhood, parents, a toy from childhood, friendship, the then and now of the community.
We develop students’ sensitivity towards people and things around them, which is essential in igniting creativity and inspiration. Therefore, topics of contemporary cultures are provided, including Hong Kong street food, fanboying and fangirling, nostalgia, and the relationship between pop art and pop culture.
The learning of art is not confined to a classroom setting. We exploit resources such as online clips, information, pictures and albums, etc. for students to expose themselves to a wide scope of artwork in order to substantiate their learning experience. With visual input and texts as input, student-teacher and peer interactions take place in online classrooms. Teachers make use of online platforms to give timely feedback to students during their time of creation, which provides students with inspiration and confidence, while raising their appreciation skills and drawing techniques.
We work with other subjects to provide cross-curricular learning opportunities. For example, we collaborated with Physics in creating artwork with the use of electronic circuit. We also worked on a qipao design and sewing project with Home Economics.
- Alumnae from different cohorts share with students regarding examination strategies, academic life in university, interview skills and work experience, etc.
- Participating schools include: Ying Wa Girls’ School, St Stephen’s College, St Louis School, Salesian English School and Shun Tak Fraternal Association Seaward Woo College. The experience enables students to exchange ideas with peers and gain public exam experience.
- Nurturing positive values through art is set as the theme of the scheme. Teachers develop teaching materials and conduct lesson observations for professional sharing
- The Art and Inspiration of Irene Chou held by Asia Society Hong Kong Center. Professional discussion regarding the teaching of Chinese paintings in primary and secondary school settings took place.
We collaborated with Arts Building Character on a series of theme-based activities targeting both teachers and students, introducing them to art-related topics and those about moral values.
- Ms. Yu Qiu Zhen developed her own brand which has received numerous awards: https://www.walado.com/about
- Ms Chan Chor Yan graduated from Hong Kong Polytechnic University, studying advertisement design. She won a championship in a clip production competition (tertiary section) in 2018
- Ms Hung Ka Hiu set up her own brand: http://www.rabbithole.store/